Our history dates back to 1957 when Father Arthur Lieux chose eight men to plan a drive for a new school. Thanks to their foresight and dedication, St. Theresa of Avila School became a reality on September 8th, 1959 when 276 children attended their first day of school in 1st through 4th grades. Today, we are now two campuses educating children from Pre-K to 8th grade.
Originally, the school was under the administration of the Sisters of the Most Holy Sacrament, who until 2013 had nuns actively involved at St. John Primary and St. Theresa Middle. Sister Bonnaventure, who was described as a fireball of energy and was instrumental in getting certified teachers at St. Theresa of Avila School, followed the first principal, Sister Maria Immaculata.
The school has seen many changes and growth through the years. Under the guidance of Principal Jay Sullivan, St. Theresa Middle saw the addition of the library in 1981, the gym in 1991, and the Science and Computer Lab in 2000. Due to the population growth in Ascension Parish and the growing demand for Catholic education, the St. Theresa Partnership was formed in 2003. The partnership accomplished a major achievement, allowing St. Theresa Middle to expand enrollment with the transfer of pre-kindergarten and kindergarten to the St. John Primary campus.
In 2008, The East Ascension/East Iberville Regional Catholic School Partnership was formed. The partner schools are St. John Primary and St. Theresa Middle. First grade moved to St. John Primary the same year, and the following year, 2009, second grade also moved to St. John Primary. Plans for the expansion of the facilities at St. John Primary have been completed and St. John Primary now includes PK – 3rd grade.